Paul,

The eTIV calc in freesurfer is an estimate of the total intracranial
volume based on a scaling factor determined by the alignment with an
atlas.  The technique is described in the paper referenced here:

http://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/eTIV

To my knowledge, its relationship to the other aseg stats has not been
explored, but maybe Bruce knows.

Nick