Hi David,

I use both the MINC world and the freesurfer world.

One thing which may be of use to you or others, is to get from the
surface co-ordinates, back to world-coordinates (or "scanner RAS"), so
that minc tools etc. display things properly. To do this, you need to
apply a simple translation.

ie. for native.mnc which was your input into freesurfer do this command:
mri_info --cras native.mnc
my output was
-2.35588 52.7907 24.8145

Then you can create the following transformation matrix:
1 0 0 -2.35588
0 1 0 52.7907
0 0 0 24.8145
0 0 0 1

If you then convert your surfaces to ascii:
mris_convert lh.pial lh.pial.asc

You can then transform each co-ordinate point in lh.pial.asc with the
above transformation matrix and then your surfaces will be in MNI
world co-cordinates. (these are referred to as "scanner RAS" on the
freesurfer wiki coordinate page).

>From there, if you have a transformation that already maps your
subject to mni152, then you can apply that transformation.

I think annother way, would be to use the information provided in:
$FREESURFER_HOME/average/mni152.register.dat.
I'm assuming lines 5-9 of that file are a transformation that will
move you from mni152 space to fsaverage (avg305) space. (though im not
sure if that is moving you from a SurfaceRAS to SurfaceRAS space or
just from  RAS to RAS or what?)
If FreeSurfer calculates the transformation matrix required to get
from your subject space(native, or RAS, or SurfaceRAS) to fsaverage
(RAS or SurfaceRAS) space, then you could probably combine those
transformations to get what you want. Unfortunately, I don't have a
good enough grasp of the coordinate system yet to guide you through
this process. Perhaps Doug can guide me in the right direction?

If you are interested in any of the other things, feel free to contact
me as I have some tools to convert FreeSurfer outputs to MINC outputs
(.mnc, .obj).

hope that helps,
mishkin