Dear Freesurfers,

First thanks everyone who helped me out with reading-in .mgh data from
within Python (especial thanks to Krish).

Now I wonder what actually I got ;-) and please pardon my ignorance

When I read in thickness file in I get an array of
(23406, 7, 58)
dimensionality, where 58 makes sense to me since we have 58 subjects.

P.S. I've got the same dimensions whenever I didn't use Krish's python
binding but converted to minc and loaded using NetCDF module (in python
though again, but python's numpy.ndarray dimensionality is not limited
by short)

What I wonder about is that why 23406 and 7? ok - the product is equal
to the surface number of vertices:23406*7=163842, so it seems that
I can simply collapse those two dimensions (which one goes first?)

but why is that done so?

according to
http://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/FsTutorial/MghFormat
and mri.h in particular I don't see any limit on width/hight to be of
short (not int) type and int (4 bytes) should be good enough to store
full index. Is that due to some historical perspective? or am I just
completely missing smth?

Thanks in advance for the hints!
--
Yaroslav Halchenko
Research Assistant, Psychology Department, Rutgers-Newark