Julia,

Most likely the processed data for that subject is out of sync (stuff
rerun later and out of order).  If you run:

recon-all -s subjid -make all

then it should do nothing if all the data files were created in the
right order.  I would add -dontrun to that recon-all command so it just
prints what it will run in case stuff is out of sync.

The -qcache option will print a warning to the recon-all.log if it cant
find a measure.  It prints a warning instead of stopping because some
measures (jacobian_white for instance) dont exist on older freesurfer
data.

So, in short, run
recon-all -s subj -make all

on your subjects.