Hi david,
              I dont know if this will help, and i really do not know the
reason why it should work,
but if you append the tcltktixbli/lib, /usr/lib and /usr/lib64 on 64 bit
version *in this order*, the
tksurfer problems are solved.  There will still be some unresolved issues
with spurious events
that will cause the window to refresh many times after each change (with
autorefresh on), but
other then that, everything will work.
              also, it help to do an ldd on tksurfer.bin, just to check that
all libraries can be located
(i.e you should not find any "not found" in the ldd output, in case you do,
solve for that
dependency before you proceed. )
              sid.