Hi,Marie

In the paper "A surface based approach to quantify local gyrification" on TMI.
There is a discussion the relation between lGI and curvature-based method. I
noticed the following discussion:
 "In the current study, all the GI measurements were computed on cortical
surfaces based on images in their native space. Independently of intersubject
registration, the absence spatial normalization ensures that the observed
differences are due to a real decrease in cortical area (related to diminished
frequency and depth of sulci) rather than to an effect of scaling."

Given the above discussion, I wonder  whether I should follow the freesurfer
processing pipeline in generating the pial surface? If not, how should I manage
to obtain the pial surface? since I noticed that in the freesurfer pipeline
there is a step called Talairach Transformation.
What is the effect of Talairach Transformation on lGI
What is the effect of intersubject registration on lGI?

When I use lGI to measure cortical folding, whether I should follow the
freesurfer pipeline or not since there is intersubject registration in the
pipeline?
By the way, in your paper, the radius is 20 or 25, what is the exact default
value of the radius in freesurfer?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

Yuanchao