Thank you for your suggestions Bruce and Mike.

Mike, could you please provide the motivation behind your suggestion of
 using mean cortical thickness as a covariate ?

Let's consider this is the context of a simple example. Let's say we compare
the mean thickness of the pre-central gyrus in patients versus
controls. Does the biology suggest that even after one accounts for age and
gender, there are natural variations
 in the gyrus thickness measurements ( that is, some people would just
happen to have larger thickness measurements ) ?

If this is the case, then one could normalize the thickness of the
individual gyrus measurement (pre-central gyrus in this example) with the
mean cortical thickness.  However, in most of the papers I have only seen
age and gender used as co-variates.

Thanks
Mehul