Hi Africa,

-nonormalization flag skips the step where T1.mgz is generated which is causing the error, as you mentioned. 001.mgz initiates the recon-all, but there are several other steps and files generated in the process.
Please refer to this wiki to see which steps and the output at each step.

http://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/ReconAllStableTablev4

Sita.