Hi Meghana,

Depending on whether wm.mgz (or the volume in which you wish to make the edits)
is loaded as the main volume or aux
volume, you should select the target in the 'Tools' --> 'Configure Brush Info'
as either main or aux respectively.
In the example you are referring to, wm2_edits_before, wm.mgz is loaded as main
volume. If you are using a similar command line for your edits, you
should select 'Main volume' as 'Target' in the 'Configure Brush Info' and save
the main volume after the edits.
If the white surface is including Gray Matter voxels and you delete those
voxels in wm.mgz, they are rendered as part of the pial surface
after rerunning recon-all.

Sita.