Hi,

I'm completely new to FreeSurfer, and I'd like to get some guide to
surface-based inter-subject registration in analyzing some fMRI data.

I have an anatomical image (e.g. t1-spgr or mprage) and functional
images (e.g. epi) in NIFTI or ANALYZE format for each subject. In each
subject's native space (typically using SPM), I perform some GLM and
get some statistical parametric maps (SPMs) for each subject (note
that the anatomical image and the resulting functional image are
co-registered). Now, I'd like to use the surface-based normalization
(or I realized that this procedure is called registration in the
freesurfer community) procedure to normalize the anatomical and the
functional images to a standard space. Could you please guide me what
steps I need to perform in order to achieve this goal?

Here are some specific questions:

1. What command shall I use to get the nifti/analyze images into the
freesurfer format? I was wondering if recon-all is really necessary. I
heard that it takes more than a day to do one subject, and I don't
think I need all those results for my purpose.

2. I found that the command "mris_register" will give me what I want
at least for the anatomical data. But how do I do the same for the
functionals? Also, how will I make sure that my anatomicals and
functionals are co-registered?

3. I need to be able to get into the data structure after
inter-subject normalization. For the nifti/analyze files, there's an
SPM command that will bring all the data into a matrix in Matlab. But
for the freesurfer format, is there a way to import the surface-based
files into Matlab so that I can play with the output data?

I may not be asking in the right order or even in the right way. But
I'm thinking that any FreeSurfer guru should be able to help me. I
searched through the archive and the documentations but wasn't
satisfactory.

Thanks in advance!

Joon

--
Joonkoo Park
Ph.D. Candidate, Cognition & Cognitive Neuroscience