Hello all,

I am interested in using the mri_glmfit simulation to control for
multiple comparisons in data I have run on the surface in AFNI. Before
doing this, I have a few questions:

1. What does the simulation with the mc-z flag do, exactly? It claims to
be comparable to AFNI's AlphaSim, but it takes a maximum cluster area
for each iteration, which is not exactly what AlphaSim does. Here is my
guess:

Given a surface, a given smoothness of the data, and a given per-vertex
threshold, for each iteration the simulation populates that surface with
random data taken from a normal distribution, thresholds the data, and
applies the smoothness of the actual data (supplied as an input
parameter). It then computes the maximum cluster size in area for that
"image". Doing this n iterations gives a distribution of maximum cluster
sizes that occur for random data of a given smoothness, and taking
cluster sizes above a certain percentile rank controls for the FWE at a
level equal to that percentile rank (e.g., 95th% controls for FWE =
.05). AlphaSim does something similar, although instead of taking
maximum cluster sizes at each iteration it computes all given cluster
sizes. AlphaSim also allows for different cluster connectivity radius,
but it seems Freesurfer computes only for neighboring vertices. All in
all, if this is correct, it seems like a good implementation.

2. It is my understanding that one could bypass running the glm in
Freesurfer and only compute the simulation, as the simulation only needs
information about the surface, and the smoothness of the data (which are
supplied by the user). To do so, you have to "fake out" Freesurfer to
bypass glm, but that turns out to be pretty painless.

3. In a future distribution, is it possible to modify this procedure to
also output maximum cluster sizes in terms of number of nodes, rather
than area?

Can you please let me know if I am mistaken in any of these assumptions?
Thanks in advance.

Anthony

--
Anthony Steven Dick, Ph.D.