Doug, thanks
So, is this a correct sequence:

Im extracting thickness measures from VBM contrasts generated by FSL VBM
analysis (this is 2X2X2):

1. To convert VBM contrast file to a binary mask:

mri_binarize --i vbmcontrast.nii.gz --o vbmmask.nii --min 0.95 --max 1 (for
fsl vbm generated corrp maps, where values are stored as 1-p, min 0.95
identifies all voxels with p less than 0.05)

2. to check if this mask lies in appropriate place on fsaverage image:

tkmedit -f fsaverage/mri/T1.mgz -overlay vbmmask.nii -fthresh 0.5

3. to register groupaverage  with fsaverage
fslregister --s fsaverage --mov groupaverage/mri/T1.mgz --reg threshreg.dat

4. to view it on the fsaverage  volume

tkmedit fsaverage T1.mgz -overlay vbmmask.nii  -overlay-reg threshreg.dat
fthresh 0.5 -surface lh.white -aux-surface rh.white

5. to map it on the fsaverage SURFACE

mri_vol2surf  --mov $SUBJECTS_DIR/vbmmask.nii --reg
$SUBJECTS_DIR/threshreg.dat --projdist-max 0 1 0.1 --interp nearest --hemi
lh --out lh.fsaverage.masked.mgh  --reshape

6. to view it  on the surface

tksurfer fsaverage lh inflated -overlay lh.fsaverage.masked.mgh  -fthresh 1

But I am seeing the surface projections on completely different regions than
when using FSL templates to view the VBM contrast

Cheers
Lena