The surface area is the actual area of the surface. I think you may be
thinking of the jacobian, which measures the amount of stretching needed
to register with the surface atlas. Total cortical volume is available
from the "header" of the aseg.stats file, and that is a surface-based
measure. As of version 5, we stopped reporting the volume-based cortical
volume measure.

doug