From: Jeff Sadino <jsadino.que...@gmail.com>
To: Michael Harms <mha...@conte.wustl.edu>
Subject: Re: [Freesurfer] Surface Area and Cortical Volume
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 17:29:45 -1000

Hi Michael,

After reading your answer, I can see it as valid for each individual subject.

If I wanted to picture the average surface area for my controls, I
think the approach would break down.  I would have to transform all
the surface areas onto a common space subject (fsaverage), and then
all of the controls would have the exact same surface area, and so
would the study group for that matter.

My understanding was that the surface area is a measure of how much
each triangle needs to be squished or stretched in order for it to
match the triangles in the common space (fsaverage), and so it is a
measure of "squishiness", not surface area.  I may be getting my
understanding of vertex-wise analysis mixed up with something else.
Your insight is appreciated!

Mahalo,
Jeff Sadino