Freesurfers,

So you can ignore this last question. I double-checked my addition and got
1046270 for the sum of all structures which is indeed more than
BrainSegNotVent. Oops.

Chris

On Nov 3 2010, bell0...@umn.edu wrote:

>One other thing. I did the addition of all the structures in aseg and
>am a bit confused. Here are the numbers for one subject.
>
>BrainSeg= 1035602
>BrainSegNotVent= 1034954
>These two are almost identical but that is most likely due to the
>lack of pv correction in BrainSeg, so I think that makes sense. When I sum
>all the structures in aseg I get 1027260 (which includes the five CC
>regions). This number is smaller than BrainSegNotVent, which doesn't make
>sense to me since I would expect it to be larger than BrainSegNotVent.
>Sorry for all the questions, I think FreeSurfer is great!
>
>Chris
>

>On Nov 3 2010, bell0...@umn.edu wrote:
>

>>I had a question about gray matter and white matter volumes in FreeSurfer
  version 4.5. Sorry, we have too many subjects to rerun easily through
5.0.
  There is no gray matter listed in aseg.stats in 4.5. The two options I
see
>>are using mris_volume or summing the aparc gray matter structures, are
  there pros/cons to this? More specifically, should the sum of the aparc
gm
  regions equal the surface-based gm volume from mris_volume or will they
be
>>different?
>>
> The aseg.stats also produces surface-based wm volumes, which I presume
>need
>>the subcortical structures subtracted away, is there a command to do this
>>with mri_segstats or do I just need to run a loop for every subcortical
>>structure to get these corrected wm volumes?
>>
>>One last question. The mri_segstats says BrainSeg is computed WITHOUT
  partial volume correction. My understanding was in the aseg pipeline
every
>>voxel got assigned to a specific structure in aseg.mgz. So, I don't
> undestand how partial voluming comes into play? In BrainSeg are some
>voxels
>>counted twice as being part of two different structures, and then this is
>>fixed when the volume of each structure is reported in the aseg table?
  Also, it would be nice to be able to directly compare BrainSeg (no
partial