________________________________

From: Hoekstra, Liesbeth
Sent: Wed 12/8/2010 11:11
To: freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Subject: talairach and scullstrip, order and control points, questions

L.S.,

Let me start by saying that you've got a wonderful webpage!
I'm a beginner in the Freesurfer field. I worked my way into the method (incl.
tutorial and talks), but I've still got a couple of questions about the
cortical thickness measurement.
1) when starting after autorecon1 with the talairach transformation and the
scullstrp, is it enough to just save the transformations (save reg)? (in the
tutorial it said, that you have to rerun autorecon-all, but if you just start
the procedure, it seems unlikely to me)
2) small parts of the dura in scullstrip procedure, can they be left in place
in the new version of Freesurfer (I read something on the qeustions-page, that
allmost everything is automatically transformed, but that still manually must
be checked if BIG differences remain (id est: big parts of skull remaining,
brain is removed)
3) It is a little confusing, in the order of the Freesurfer workflow the
control points are set between autorecon 1 and autorecon 2, but if you set them
you have to run autorecon-cp (again). Can I set the control points just after
the autorecon 2?
4) Can I do autorecon 2 than do the white matter edits , pial edits and final
surfex  and than rerun autorecon 2 before going to autorecon3 , or do I have to
rerun after each individual step?

thanks a lot for your answers, I'm looking forward to it to continue my
analysis,

L.Hoekstra

Het UMC St Radboud staat geregistreerd bij de Kamer van Koophandel in het
handelsregister onder nummer 41055629.
The Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre is listed in the Commercial
Register of the Chamber of Commerce under file number 41055629.