From: Bruce Fischl [mailto:fis...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu]
Sent: Thursday, December 09, 2010 4:51 PM
To: Joakim Vinberg
Cc: freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Subject: Re: [Freesurfer] guidelines for spatial smoothing

Hi Joakim

yes, I believe your first point is true as you are implictly only
smoothing within gray matter on the surface, as opposed to volume
smoothing
that includes CSF and even skull at larger kernel sizes.

W.r.t the optimal kernel size, that's a harder question. In general you
smooth to (1) reduce noise, and (2) account for residual
misregistration.
The matched filter theorem says that your kernel should match the
hypothesized size of the effect you are looking for, so there is no
general
right answer. The best kernel size is smaller if you are expecting focal

effects, and bigger if they are more diffuse.

sorry, I wish there was a better answer than that.

On Thu, 9 Dec
2010, Joakim Vinberg wrote:

> Hi FreeSurfer community:
>

> I wanted to ask for general thoughts on spatial smoothing of data.
>

> In particular, some searching of the archives reveals that a bit of
> smoothing can help the quality of the data, as well as the
inter-subject
> registration of significance volumes.
>

> FreeSurfer can perform both volume-based smoothing and surface-based
> smoothing. Theoretical concerns and some testing seem to indicate that
> smoothing along the surface yields more robust results and more
> consistent results on the data in practice-is this correct?
>

> Secondly, I have read some of the general thoughts about smoothing
(more
> localized region, less smoothing; more subjects, less smoothing). Does
> anybody have some more practical insight into appropriate smoothing
> kernels for anatomical data (e.g. thickness), and functional data
> (typically BOLD, typically recorded at 3 x 3 x 4mm)? I'm interested in
> subject pool sizes between 10 and 50.
>

> Thanks very much in advance for all of the help and thoughts-
>

> Joakim

The information in this e-mail is intended only for the person to whom
it is
e-mail
HelpLine at
http://www.partners.org/complianceline . If the e-mail was sent to you
in error
but does not contain patient information, please contact the sender and
properly