i think part of the confusion results from the option in qdec to import
the ROI thickness values into qdec for selection as factors in an
analysis.  if what you want to do is simply look for cortex-wide (ie
vertex-wide) differences in thickness between two groups (patients vs.
controls), then you dont need to import thickness stats as factors.

if you wanted to do an ROI analysis of patients vs controls, then you
wouldnt use qdec, but any old stats package, importing the data from the
freesurfer stats tables.

so try running a sraightforward analysis in qdec, with a qdec.table.dat
like this for example

fsid    group
subj1   patient
subj2   patient
subj3   control
subj4   control

and look in the area of banksts for changes if you expect them there.
there is a multiple comparison correction option as well.

n.