Hello,

We have some signal dropout at the top of the brain in some scans, possibly
similar to Rutvik Desai's 02/18/10 post. However, in our case, FreeSurfer is
not including any of the regions affected by the dropout in both its
subcortical segmentation and cortical parcellation. Instead, FreeSurfer
essentially begins to treat the gray/white boundary as the CSF/gray surface,
and classifies white matter as gray matter. The severity of this issue seems
to correlate with how severe the dropout is.

I have tried running nu_correct (normalization) for up to 256 iterations.
This produces a noticeable effect when visualizing the volumes in tkmedit,
but has no effect on FreeSurfer's output. I can upload a sample subject, if
desired. We are using FreeSurfer 5.0 x64 on a Sun Grid Engine operating
servers running CentOS 4.5.

Thank you,
Victor Yee