You might want to take at look at the following article.

Bigler ED, Abildskov TJ, Wilde EA, et al. Diffuse damage in pediatric traumatic
brain injury: a comparison of automated versus operator-controlled
quantification methods. Neuroimage 2010;50:1017-26.

Cerebellar GM volumes were similar between analysis methods, whereas cerebellar
WM volumes differed (likely due to differing boundary inclusion/exclusion
criteria and challenges for image quantification due to the numerous folia of
the cerebellum).

Hope this helps.

Tricia Merkley

--- On Fri, 5/13/11, McLean John (NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde)
<johnmcl...@nhs.net> wrote:

From: McLean John (NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde) <johnmcl...@nhs.net>
Subject: [Freesurfer] Cerebellum segmentation, auto vs manual reference?
To: "freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu" <freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>
Date: Friday, May 13, 2011, 7:01 AM

Hi,

I’ve found some volume differences in the cerebellum between two groups I’ve
been studying. I used freesurfer v4.5 to do the segmentation. I am looking for
a reference to justify the use of Freesurfer and to say that it compares well
with
 manual tracing of the cerebellum but I’m struggling to find a paper with that
data. Can anyone comment or point me in the right direction?

The Fischl et al 2002 Neuron paper has a comparison of most subcortical regions
but doesn’t include the cerebellum and other papers I’ve seen by Makris et al
03’ and 05’ looks to employ a more involved and detailed approach for the
cerebellum
 rather than only running Freesurfer’s recon-all process.

Many Thanks
John

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient please inform the

Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take
any action in reliance on its contents:

Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff
in England and Scotland

NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information
with NHSmail and GSi recipients

NHSmail provides an email address for your career in the NHS and can be
accessed anywhere

For more information and to find out how you can switch, visit
www.connectingforhealth.nhs.uk/nhsmail

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----