Hi Doug, this is indeed an fsfast analysis. I used the fsaverage subject
included with the 5.1 distribution.  Here is the code that I used to produce
the registration matrix for one subject. Note that I did use mri_convert to
change the .mgz files into .nii.gz

The use of flirt (below) is more of an ad-hoc solution to register each
subject's anatomical image to fsaverage. I'm not wedded to this method if
there's a better alternative.

bet ${SUBJECTS_DIR}/${SUBJECT}/mri/nu.nii.gz \
${SUBJECTS_DIR}/${SUBJECT}/mri/nu_bet.nii.gz \
-f 0.3 -g 0

flirt -in ${SUBJECTS_DIR}/${SUBJECT}/mri/nu_bet.nii.gz \
-ref ${SUBJECTS_DIR}/fsaverage/mri/brain.nii.gz \
-out ${SUBJECTS_DIR}/${SUBJECT}/mri/nu_bet_reg.nii.gz \
-omat ${SUBJECTS_DIR}/${SUBJECT}/mri/nu_bet_reg.mat \
-bins 256 -cost corratio -searchrx -90 90 -searchry -90 90 \
-searchrz -90 90 -dof 12  -interp trilinear

cd $SUBJECTS_DIR
tkregister2 --targ $SUBJECTS_DIR/${SUBJECT}/mri/nu_bet_reg.nii.gz \
--mov $SUBJECTS_DIR/fsaverage/mri/brain.nii.gz \
--fsl $SUBJECTS_DIR/${SUBJECT}/mri/nu_bet_reg.mat \
--reg $SUBJECTS_DIR/${SUBJECT}/mri/nu_bet_reg.dat  \
--noedit