i'm able to replicate what you see on my mac (leopard, w/ XQuartz)
connecting via ssh -Y to a linux machine and running fs v5.0.0.
however, freeview works in this setup using fs 5.1.0.  the change
between version is that freeview now uses Qt (instead of Wx).  can you
switch to v5.1.0?  or copy the freeview from 5.1.0 to your 5.0.0
installation?  you would need to copy:

freesurfer/lib/qt
freesurfer/bin/freeview
freesurfer/bin/freeview.bin