Hi Ping - You can upload your data if you want me to take a look at it.

1. The initial points ideally should be along the midline of the pathway,
starting from one end region of the pathway and going all the way to the
other end region. (The default number is 5 control points but you can "set
ncpts = ..." in your dmrirc to change that.)

2. You can look in $FREESURFER_HOME/bin/dmrirc.example for how to specify
the field map inputs. They don't need to have the same matrix size and
resolution as the DWIs.

3a. If it's the initialization that's failed, the output will just be the
initial path and nothing else (which is I think what you mean by "fewer
voxels").

3b. The diffusion model used here is the same as the ball-and-stick model
that FSL uses. If the threshold you're referring to is the minimum volume
fraction for the anisotropic compartments of that model, you can "set fmin
= ..." in your dmrirc to choose one.

I hope this helps a bit!
a.y