Hello,

I am working on comparing hand-drawn subcortical volumes to those output
automatically by FreeSurfer.  While reading about the segmentation process on
the wiki, I came across this line:

"The final segmentation is based on both a subject-independent probabilistic
atlas and subject-specific measured values. The atlas is built from a training
set, i.e., a set of subjects whose brains (surfaces or volumes) have been
labeled by hand. These labels are then mapped into a common space (Talairach
space for volumes..."
(http://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/FreeSurferAnalysisPipelineOverview)

Because of the way we decided to delineate our ROI, we need to compare the
shapes we defined in AFNI to those defined by this training set and output by
FreeSurfer.  I've been looking for more information about this probabilistic
atlas, but I cannot find any more information about it.  The only thing I found
was the last line of this thread from the mail archives:

Am 23.08.2011 um 04:03 schrieb Anthony Dick:

> The subcortical segmentation identifies subcortical structures such as

> thalamus, basal ganglia structures, hippocampus, amygdala, and

> cerebellum. The cortical parcellation delineates different areas of the

> cortex, such as the superior temporal sulcus, the central sulcus, the

> pars triangularis, opercularis, and orbitalis of the inferior frontal

> gyrus. A recommendation is to get a copy of the Duvernoy atlas, which

> covers definitions of different parts of the cortex. The Mai atlas is

> good for learning subcortical structures.

Was the Mai atlas used to create the define the structures in the training set?
 Could you provide me with any more information regarding the training set?