Dear Doug,

Thanks for your reply. I will compare conditions against the NULL, but the
ultimate aim is to compare conditions against each other. The effect I am
looking for will be very small, so I am trying to make sure I optimise the
design- I really appreciate your insight.

Miezin et al., 2000 NeuroImage showed that presenting flashing chequer boards
with short ITI (min=2,5, mean=5s, TR=2.5 for events of 1.5 duration) resulted
in highest power (mean z-score) for responses in the visual cortex compared to
longer ITI. This is mainly due to the greater amount of trials shown per
condition. They only used one stimulus condition and compared it to the NULL
(consistent with scenario described in your point 2), however my aim is to
compare different conditions against each other.

I am concerned that the reduction in amplitude of closely spaced trials will
affect the between-condition comparison. If the second of two closely spaced
trials will have a reduced amplitude (your point 1) - and it is the amplitude
between conditions I am interested, I'd be wiping out my effect of interest.

If this is the case, introducing ITIs between each trial to bring back the
amplitude of the second (and subsequent trials) would be better for between
condition comparisons.

Does this sound right?

Many thanks for your patience in explaining.

Betina

On 04/24/2012 07:34 AM, Betina Ip wrote:
> Dear Doug,
>
> Thank you for your excellent answers, they are very helpful. Please
> allow me to summarise and ask for additional clarification:
>
> 1) The main problem I'd like to solve is, as you spotted, whether the
> sequence will have required power to detect and effect (if there is
> one!). So, please disagree with me if this is incorrect, but one way
> to evaluate the potential of the sequence in terms of detecting an
> effect would be to plug the condition files directly into a Fsl FEAT
> analysis design matrix (FEAT>Stats>Full Model Setup> Efficiency),
> which would come out with an efficiency/estimability % to detect a
> statistically significant effect for a given comparison. The lower the
> effect required, the more efficient the design.
yes, that's fine. You'll have to enter a guess as to the level of the
noise and the size of the effect.

> 2) The second question is related to spacing of NULL trials. I would
> like to first run a univariate analysis and then run a multivariate
> analysis. You mentioned NULL trials would be 'helpful'- could you
> please clarify whether you mean having ANY null trials or having null
> trials between EACH trial would be helpful?
There are two answers to this. (1) The point I was trying make below is
that two closely space non-null trials will result in a smaller
amplitude for the 2nd. Putting a null between them helps to bring back
the amplitude of the 2nd. For this you would need nulls between each
event. (2) If you have a hypothesis in which you compare a condition
against the null, then you need about as many null trials as you have
any other condition and you don't necessarily need nulls between each
condition (sounds like this is already the case).

> My current design is allocating as much total null time as for any
> other condition (as recommended in freesurver list). This means that I
> do have some NULL trials, and they are randomly inserted in the
> sequence. However, most trials have no ITI between them. If I did
> force ITIs between EACH trial I would have to decrease number of
> trials for each condition type, which could lower the design efficiency.
>
> IF the problem of having carry-over effects of closely very spaced
> trials (i.e. majority of trials with no separation between trials)
> could be alleviated by rigorous first order counter-balancing within
> Optseq2 using the --focb option, is it necessary at all to add a null
> trial between EACH trial into the design?
The carry over is not the problem, it is the reduction in amplitude for
the 2nd of closely spaced trials.

doug

> [...]
> />/  The command is here:
> />/
> />/  ./optseq2 --ntp 440 --tr 4 --psdwin 0 20 \
> />/          --ev evt1 4 80 \
> />/          --ev evt2 4 80 \
> />/          --ev evt3 4 80 \
> />/          --ev evt4 4 80 \
> />/          --nkeep 3 \
> />/          --o gfatrial \
> />/   --focb 10 \
> />/          --nsearch 10000
> />/
> />/  A sample trial list is here:
> />/
> />/    0.0000    2    4.000   1.0000          evt2
> />/    4.0000    4    4.000   1.0000          evt4
> />/    8.0000    0    4.000   1.0000          NULL
> />/  12.0000    3    4.000   1.0000          evt3
> />/  16.0000    3    4.000   1.0000          evt3
> />/  20.0000    2    4.000   1.0000          evt2
> />/  …
> />/
> />/  The other question I had concerns the position of null trials. Many
> trials are not separated by a NULL event, however studies of rapid
> event-related designs to report a minimum ITI, in this case the minimum seems
> to be 0? To assess the effect of forcing a minimum ITI on the sequence, I
> have run the search defining the --tnullmin to 4 sec (equal to 1 TR) however
> efficiency and VRFAvg drop to .79 and 16.07, obviously due to trade of
> between ntp and ntrials (ntp=440, ntrials=62).
> />/
> />/  Are NULL trials between each event required at all if a standard FIR is
> used for the analysis? My aim is to first apply a univariate BOLD-analysis
> and subsequently a multivariate analysis to the dataset.  Thanks for
> clarifying.
> /They are not strictly necessary, however, they may be helpful. If you
> really don't want them as part of your design (eg, it would interfere
> with the psychology), then don't use them but make sure to optimize the
> FOCB more (I usually use 100 regardless). The disadvantage of not having
> the nulls is that there will probably be some non-linearity in that the
> second of two closely spaced trials will have a lower amplitude than if
> it occurred in isolation. This will hurt your power and might cause a
> false difference between conditions if they are not well counter-balanced.
> doug
> >/
> />/  Betina
> />/  _______________________________________________
> />/  Freesurfer mailing list
> />/  Freesurfer at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu<http://nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>
> />/
> />/
> /
> --
> Douglas N. Greve, Ph.D.
> MGH-NMR Center
> greve at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu<http://nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>
> Phone Number: 617-724-2358
> Fax: 617-726-7422
>
> Bugs: surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/BugReporting

Douglas N. Greve, Ph.D.
MGH-NMR Center
gr...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Phone Number: 617-724-2358