I am running FreeSurfer 5.1 on a Mac Pro intel using Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6).
I am getting the following GLUT error message:

GLUT: Fatal Error in tkmedit.bin: could not open display: :0.0
GLUT: Fatal Error in tksurfer.bin: could not open display: :0.0

when trying to run tkmedit or tksurfer.  Freeview seems to work without any
issue.  I have tried to run it in both the x11 window and the terminal window
with the same results.

The messages on the message board seem to raise the issue but the appeared to
not answer the issue completely.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.