Hi Doug,

It seems that, our stimulus presentation is inconsistent with the way
freesurfer processes the retinotopy clockwise and counter clockwise data.

After going through the freesurfer code I found the following.
The freesurfer code assumes that the wedge starts horizontally for both
clockwise and counterclockwise runs.
In the glm analysis, the difference between the two types of runs (specified in
the paradigm file by "neg" or "pos") is programmed in the function
$FREESURFER_HOME/fsfast/toolbox/flac_desmat.m as follows:

for "pos" runs the real part equals cos(phz) and the imaginary part equals
sin(phz)

for "neg" runs the real part stays cos(phz) and the imaginary part equals
-sin(phz).

This is correct if the wedge starts in the horizontal positionm, but not if the
wedge starts vertically.
In that case the code above will lead to a phase shift of half a cycle for the
"neg" runs compared to the "pos" runs.

However, this problem is solved by changing the code for the "neg" runs to: the
real part  equals -cos(phz) and the imaginary part equals sin(phz).

This small change fixed the problems for our data.

Thomas