Hi all,

I was wondering if there was a consensus view on the optimal way to
approach morphometric analysis (cortical thickness, volumetry & associated
analyses) of MRI data acquired on multiple scanners.

>From VBM literature & our own experience it appears that comparing MRI
scans of patients from one scanner with controls scanned on another is a
bad idea, because there are systematic differences that will manifest as
very significant GM volume/concentration/density differences following
statistical analysis when these differences are unlikely to really exist
ie. we get a lot of false positives.

Definitive findings on similar analyses using cortical thickness mapping
seem harder to come by. There's the Han study from 2006 and Dickerson 2008
but both of these seem to be empirical analyses of mean absolute error or
related measures rather than pitting scanner 1 subjects against scanner 2
subjects in a statistical analysis (please correct me if I haven't looked
hard enough). Wonderlick et al 2009 is closer in terms of statistical
analysis but these were done on one scanner so don't really address the
multicenter issue.

To my mind it seems likely that cortical thickness analysis would have the
same problem as VBM and would require controls to be scanned on the same
scanners as patients to account for inter-scanner variability. Does anyone
have any opinions on this? Or, even better, any data so we can tell how
much of a problem this is?

In a related question, the ADNI study uses a phantom to correct an image
for gradient nonlinearities in different scanners, and then pools this
corrected data from multiple scanners into each control or patient group,
and subsequent morphometric analyses are done without worrying about the
multi-site issue. Does anyone have an opinion on the validity of this
approach?

I guess one way to investigate it would be to look at vertex-wise
across-subject variance in coregistered cortical thickness maps both with
and without the phantom-based correction procedure; if the variance was
lower in the phantom-corrected variance map this would provide good
evidence that it's worth the effort of undertaking this procedure. I would
be keen to do this analysis but unless I'm mistaken the ADNI website only
provides images that have already been processed to correct for gradient
nonlinearities.

An alternative approach that has been proposed is to scan a group of the
same controls on multiple scanners to characterise between-scanner
differences. The practicality of this approach breaks down as the number of
centers increases. Again I would be interested to hear if anyone has
experience in using this approach compared to others.

In summary, there seem to be three ways to overcome inter-scanner variance:
1. scan different controls at each site
2. scan a phantom at each site (and probably scan controls too anyway)
3. scan the same group of controls at all sites

I would be interested in hearing which approach people think is best, and
why.

Thanks if you're still reading!
Best wishes
Heath