Hi Pietro

1. No, you would need 002.mgz etc.. if you had more than 1 scan that you wanted to motion correct and average for that subject/session.

2. The easier way to run recon-all is to use the -i <file> flag, where <file> should be one slice in the proper dicom series (e.g. an mprage). Then you don't need to copy 001.mgz or anything, it will do everything for you.