If you want to get a figure with arbitrarily high resolution regardless
of the screen size, have a look at PySurfer*. It's not an official part
of freesurfer but can display many of the freesurfer files. It can
produce high resolution figures by moving the camera, taking screenshots
and then assembling them.

*http://pysurfer.github.com/index.html

Best,

Martin

On 12/06/12 16:40, Matt Glasser wrote:
> Perhaps you can maximize the tksurfer window on a large monitor, take a
> whole screen screenshot, and then in a photo editing program: decrease the
> physical size of the image (in mm or inches) while not decreasing the
> matrix size.  You can do this in photoshop in Image > Image Size > And
> then change the document size until the resolution is 300.  This will
> increase the DPI to make nice figures.  What Bruce suggests will just
> upsample the image (without adding detail), which is not what journals
> have in mind when they ask for 300dpi figures.  Keep in mind that the
> document size is the printable size, so your image will get smaller on the
> printed page when you do this.  Often, figures have multiple panels and if
> you take each panel as a full screen image on a large monitor and then
> reduce the size you will have more than 300dpi to spare in the end result.
>

> Peace,
>
> Matt.
>
> On 12/6/12 3:22 PM, "Bruce Fischl" <fis...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi Knut
>> the tiffs written by tksurfer are 600x600 regardless of what DPI you set.
>> You can change the dpi with convert (or photoshop), but it won't change
>> the
>> # of pixels.
>>
>> cheers
>> Bruce
>>

>> On Thu, 6 Dec 2012, Knut J Bjuland wrote:
>>

>>>    How can I get 300 dpi resolution or about when saving tiff files in
>>> tksurfer?

>> is
>> e-mail
>> HelpLine at
>> http://www.partners.org/complianceline . If the e-mail was sent to you in
>> error
>> properly
>> dispose of the e-mail.

Martin Luessi, Ph.D.

Research Fellow

Department of Radiology
Athinoula A. Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging
Massachusetts General Hospital
Harvard Medical School
149 13th Street
Charlestown, MA 02129