Dear Mahinda,

For the mris_preproc, I think Doug posted already explaining how it works -
it uses a jacobian correction in a way that makes it mass-conservative. You
may want to search the archives. For the ROIs, the standard method is to
add up the areas of their constituent vertices, so it should be
straightforward to describe I believe. And the statistics are based on the
GLM, which is already well entrenched in the literature, with no need for
details other than describing carefully the design you used and how you
corrected for multiple testing.

About a general discussion on area, the methods, etc, then yes, that would
be the paper that you know already.

All the best,

Anderson