Dear experts,

I would like to ask for help in explaining an unexpected difference in
volume in subcortical structures between orig.mgz space and rawavg.mgz
space scans.

I used FreeSurfer (v5.1, Mac 10.7.5) on a group of subjects in order to
extract subcortical segmentation volumes. I then changed the wmparc.mgz
file to nifti format and used fsl tools to extract the hippocampus and
other structures. I then used tkregister2 to produce the orig-to-rawavg
matrix and applied this to each of the subcortical structure volumes
individually to get these segmentations in the original native T1 space. On
visual inspection this seemed to work fine, but when I compared the volumes
of the orig.mgz space subcortical structures to the rawavg.mgz space
structures there was a large difference (e.g. left hippocampus is in the
range of 5000mm3 in the orig.mgz space and in the range of 7000mm3 in
rawavg.mgz space). I wasn't expecting differences of this magnitude as I
thought the rawavg-to-orig transformation only involved reorienting and
reslicing?

I compared volumes using fsl's "fslstats image -V" command.

Can anybody please explain these differences and recommend a way to move
forward? Ideally I would like to use the rawavg.mgz space subcortical
structures for further analysis but I would like to know that I can trust
them first!

Many thanks in advance!

Sean