Thanks Nick and Anil! I tried with the Bert data set in its original
location, and got a different kind of error:

ERROR: talairach_afd::Load_xfm(): could not parse transforms/talairach.xfm
Manual Talairach alignment may be necessary, or
include the -notal-check flag to skip this test,
making sure the -notal-check flag follows -all
or -autorecon1 in the command string.

I am now trying to run recon-all through FMRIB (FSL)...

Tudor