Hi Tudor,

On 03/22/2013 05:19 PM, Tudor Popescu wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I created a qdec.table.dat for my design (a simple group analysis,
> with gender as categorical factor and age as continuous factor), and
> created a gender.levels file containing the values that are found in
> qdec.table.dat, spellt in exactly the same way (all files attached).
> However, when loading the file in QDEC, I get the error:
>
> /ERROR: Subject C01 has an invalid level 'controls' in the group column
> INFO: If 'group' is a discrete factor, then create a file named
> 'group.levels' containing the valid factor names one per line.
> Error loading the data table.
> /
>
> The strings under the fsid column (subject ID) correspond to those
> that I used after the –subjid xxx, in my previous call to recon-all
> (e.g. "C01, C02, M01, M02.."). The qdec.table.dat was created in Excel
> and saved as a tab-delimited txt file. Replacing the tabs with
> spaces/commas does not change the error message. What could be the
> problem?
It looks like you made the group.levels file on a windows system. There
are hidden characters that cause qdec to fail. Try creating it from
scratch on a linux system or run dos2unix on the file.

> I also have a few more questions, if I may:
>
> - how much more accurate are the results of a QDEC analysis if an
> average subject is computed from the subjects of the sample, with
> make_average_subject, as opposed to using FS's default average
> subject, fsaverage?

Accurate in what way? Changing the average subject in qdec just changes
the gray scale curvature pattern. This will be a little more accurate if
you use your subjects, but probably not much. It will change the stats a
very small amount. Note that QDEC will not use a different registration
even if you spec a new average subject.

> - the qdec.table.dat in the tutorial
> <http://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/FsTutorial/QdecGroupAnalysis>contains
>
> more than just "demographical information", for instance it contains
> the volumes of the left and right hippocampi; are these types of
> informations normally brought in from previous analyses (that may have
> been done in a package other than FS), or does one first have to
> obtain any such relevant predictors in FreeSurfer, before starting the
> QDEC analysis?
They do not have to be. They are only there for convenience in case you
have a hypothesis about them.

> - the QDEC tutorial seems to be for whole-brain analyses; the ROI
> analysis tutorial
> <http://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/FsTutorial/AnatomicalROI>
> mentions nothing of QDEC, however; can ROI analyses not also be done
> in QDEC?
No, not yet.

> - in the Group Analysis (non-QDEC) tutorial
> <http://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/FsTutorial/GroupAnalysis>,
> the design matrix (Xg.dat) is in the form MembershipF|
> MembershipM|AgeF|AgeM, while the values in the contrast are said to
> correspond to the 4 parameters (intercept for F,M; slope for F,M).
> Either way, how can the contrast vector be interpreted to give the
> correlation between thickness and age?
Each column in the Xg.dat is matched with a linear parameter (intercept
or slope). If you have [0 0 1 0], it means to ignore the parameters
matched with 0s and just test the parameter matched with 1, in this
case, the AgeF (and so slope) parameter.

> - in the same tutorial, why is the value 0 being given to the first
> two elements in the matrix, when it should only be given to nuisance
> variables?
Effectively yes. They might only be "nuisance" for that particular
contrast. For other contrasts they might be variables of interest.
doug

> Many thanks in advance for any help!
> Tudor

Douglas N. Greve, Ph.D.