1a) You would do this after running recon-all on the T1-weighted image. It will only adjust the surfaces, not the segmentation. Something like recon-all -T2pial <path to flair>

1b) this will work with either, but in my experience the FLAIR helps more to distinguish dura from gm

2) Yes. The standard aseg will label them and we have some custom tools that are more accurate if you have other image contrasts. I don't think they are quite distributed yet, but perhaps Doug can comment.

3) Sure, this isn't too hard. David Salat has published using the gray/white ratio as an interesting biomarker and the techniques would be pretty similar. I think Matt mostly used FreeSurfer for his analysis, but perhaps he can comment on the particulars