Hello,

I am working as a research assistant for the summer with the
University of Cincinnati's Psychiatry department in the Division of
Bipolar Disorders Research under Cal Adler and Melissa DelBello. We
are looking to start utilizing FreeSurfer; however, I am getting some
error messages when trying to perform most of the tasks on the
"Testing your FreeSurfer installation" page in the wiki (
https://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/TestingFreeSurfer ).

The most common of the error messages I am receiving is "Exec format
error. Binary file not executable."

The Mac I am trying to run FreeSurfer on has a dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5
processor and 4 GB DDR SDRAM, and is running Mac OS X 10.4.11 (Tiger).

I have been trying to use FreeSurfer v5.3.0 for SnowLeopard OS X 10.6
(32b Intel). Should this version compatible with my computer? We are
thinking that our error messages are the result of either operating
system incompatibility or not having all of the necessary privileges
on our account (which can be fixed through IT).

Any insight you can provide regarding the compatibility of FreeSurfer
v5.3.0 on Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger systems would be incredibly helpful.

Thanks so much,

Max Swartz