I have tried to inspect the tal xfms that were created in the brief time
this string was running

  recon-all -all -s <tpNid> -i path_to_tpN_dcm

while viewing orig.mgz in tkmedit. they were talairach.xfm and
talairach.auto.xfm, both were empty and the tkmedit window was empty.

upon further inspection the log file is complaining about my nifty.

WARNING: neither NIfTI-1 qform or sform are valid
WARNING: your volume will probably be incorrectly oriented
$Id: mri_convert.c,v 1.179.2.7 2012/09/05 21:55:16 mreuter Exp $
reading from
/net/data4/ALSSCI/FreeSurfer201211/Subjects/DT/100922dt/anatomy/ht1spgr.nii...
TR=1000.00, TE=0.00, TI=0.00, flip angle=0.00
WARNING: it does not appear that there was sufficient information