The --cache is completely independent of --qcache (it was an unfortunate name for me to give it). The --cache means that the simulations have already been run. Think about a statistics text book that has a table of t-values, DOF, and corresponding p-values. I created a similar table that we distribute with FreeSurfer so that you don't have to run the simulation yourself.
doug