Dear FreeSurfer experts,

We have a question regarding the aparc output from the stats files, and
hopefulle you can help us.
We have 4 independent groups, of about 30 subjects per group, all scanned using
the same protocal on the same MRI scanner. We ran the cross sectional
FreeSurfer (5.2.0, Linux centos4_x86_64) pipeline, and extracted the volume
information per person from the .stat files using Matlab. We transfered the
volume information into SPSS, to calculate the Means and Standard Deviations
per group.

We are interested in a couple of regions of interest (anterior + posterior
cingulate, OFC, parahippocamus and insula).

What strange is though, it that the means and standard deviations of 3 groups
are comparable across all regions, but the SDs of 1 group are very (very!)
large. This is not a group in which we expect brain atrophy or anything like
that. Below you see the SD values of all groups, with SD values up to four
times bigger in group 1!

                        1               2               3               4
caudal ACC              618             516             643             589
rostral ACC             1583            578             692             623
PCC                     1942            721             616             749
OFC                     2632            1345            1844            1652
parahip         1198            346             271             394
insula                  1410            1033            1096            1017

The outliers are different subject in every region, and I checked the
parcellation output of them, that looks fine. We are wondering what could be
the cause of this, do you have any ideas?

Thank you in advance,

Kind regards,
Laura