By the way, smoothing can remove the thickening (if there is only a
little and mainly thinning ).

Best, Martin

On 08/05/2013 02:18 PM, Martin Reuter wrote:
> Hi Bastian,
>
> actually (see other mail today) it computes percent thickening per year
> as it is the slope of the linear fit into the measurements (thickness
> with respect to age or time). If the slope is negative, there is thinning.
>
> The results (within subject and on fsaverage) have signs so they always
> reflect both thinning or thickening. And usually due to noise you'll
> find regions in an individual subject that go both ways.
> So when you look at the within subject results (on the base anatomy) you
> should see both blue and red regions. that should be also true for when
> looking at the same map on fsaverage (it is just mapped there, should
> not change the sign, only the location a little).
>
> Best, Martin
>
> On 08/02/2013 05:31 AM, Bastian Cheng wrote:
>> Dear freesurfer-experts,
>>
>> I have successfully done a longitudinal analysis on cortical thickness
>> changes over 2 timepoints (0 and 1 year).
>>
>> My question is:
>>
>> If I look at the -individual- overlays of perc. change (i.e. pc1fit),
>> only positive values are shown.
>> whereas at the -fsaverage- view, positve AND negative values are shown
>> (i.e. thinning and thickening)
>>
>> I understood that long_mris_slopes calculates the "percent thinning per
>> year".
>> But is there a way to show both sides of the histogramm (i.e. from -2
>> to +2) also on the -individual- overlay?
>>
>> This might be a naive question, however, any help is greatly appreciated!
>>
>> Bastian.

Martin Reuter, Ph.D.
Assistant in Neuroscience - Massachusetts General Hospital
Instructor in Neurology   - Harvard Medical School
MGH / HMS / MIT

A.A.Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging
149 Thirteenth Street, Suite 2301
Charlestown, MA 02129

Phone: +1-617-724-5652
Email: