Dear Doug,
thank you very much for your reply!Point c, is now ok.
Stefano

----Messaggio originale----

Da: gr...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu

Data: 4-ago-2013 20.34

A: <freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu>

Ogg: Re: [Freesurfer] Statistical concerns

    On 8/1/13 7:56 AM, std...@virgilio.it
      wrote:

      Hi list,
      I have some questions please.

      1- I have carried out Monte Carlo Simulation
        to assess the difference among three groups (23, 24 and 32
        subjects). Main results were confirmed also by FDR, but I prefer
        to shown the Monte Carlo becouse it better describes my thesis.
      Recently I have submitted my paper but a
        referee asked me "Why use cluster based Monte Carlo methods for
        correction of multiple comparisons instead of the more
        conventional vertex-wise FDR correction? I suspect the former is
        much less conservative than the latter. It would be interesting
        to know the results for FDR corrected thresholds (p<0.05),
        and whether the present results would remain statistically
        'active'.
      Now, I'm looking literature and I'm noting
        that several recent articles published on top journals used
        Monte Carlo Simulation (Ehrlich et al., 2013 Schizophr Bull.;
        Sasamoto et al., 2013 Schizophr Bull).
      What do you think about it? How do you advise
        to reply to the referee? I'd like to show Monte Carlo results.

    This is a very surprising request by the reviewer. FDR is hardly
    "conventional", and the brain imaging community has been using
    clusterwise correction for 20 years. I'm  not even sure what
    "voxelwise" FDR is. Is that different than the one introduced by
    Genovese in 2002?

     As for how to respond to the reviewer, I'm not sure. You can
    certainly make a case that doing the clusterwise correction is the
    "industry standard".  You can also site a paper out of the Friston
    group from a few years back critisizing the Genovese-style FDR. Have
    you applied the Genovese-style FDR that we offer in FS? If that
    works out, then there is no need to fight with the reviewer.

      2- I should do also correlation analysis. I'm
        using QDEC as recommanded in guideliness

(http://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/FsTutorial/QdecGroupAnalysis_freeview).
        In one group, after fsgd creation, I'm performing correlation
        analysis between thickness and neuropsychiatric test scores (it
        has been put in covariete windows-it should be dipendent
        factor). I'm also putting some nuisance factors (they should be
        dipendent factor in the regression analysis) to exclude the
        their effect on data.
      a- Is this procedure corrected?
      b- Is corrected to talk regression analysis
        in the text of my manuscript?
      c- Is corrected whether I explain this
        correlation analysis as reported  in the description performed
        above?

    I'm confused. If you are using qdec, then you put your factors
    (which are independent) in the qdec table, not in the FSGD file.
    Otherwise the procedure looks correct and you can talk about
    "regression analysis" in your ms. I don't understand (c).

    doug

      Thank you very much,

      Stefano