JoJo,

I have not tried to recreate your issues on machine running Ubuntu 13.04
but have tried to run the commands on Ubuntu 12.04. To summarize:

1) Regarding your first issue... this is standard output to the terminal
on certain OS's including Ubuntu. I got it when I tested your command
but the tkmedit window still appeared. You may have to press enter after
receiving the "Couldn't create output file .xdebug_tkmeditReading
/usr/local/freesurfer/tktools/tkm_common.tcl" but this is a normal
warning message.

2) Change your command to the following:
tkmedit -segmentation $SUBJECTS_DIR/bert/mri/aseg.mgz \
  $FREESURFER_HOME/FreeSurferColorLUT.txt bert norm.mgz

3) Again, I get the same warning, but the window still appears. Try
hitting enter after you get the warning message.

-Zeke