I see. Usually we start with a sphere, and create a sphere.reg for a bunch of subjects, then remake the template with those
Bruce
On Tue, 3 Sep 2013, David Romano wrote:

Hi Bruce,

The workflow that I mentioned from the wiki is for creating a new template
in the absence of any ?.sphere.reg files;  here's relevant language from the
webpage:

----------------
"Creating a registration template from scratch (GW)

(This section reports on what I (GW) have learned of the registration
process from Bruce Fischl. and Doug Greve, along with reading the source
code. I have not actually tried it.)

The process of creating a template involves calculating a "mean" (across
subjects) pattern of curvature-related values, along with the variance of
these variables. This task is performed by program mris_make_template.
However, mris_make_template expects the input subjects to be already aligned
(ie: already have ?h.sphere.reg files). This of course will not be the case
if you are about to create a template!"

This is context for my question.

Thanks,
David