Apologies: the full error message was:
 '*could not determine type of lh.Yeo2011_17Networks_N1000.annot*'

I tried your suggestion of removing the hemispheric designation in front of
'Yeo' and I'm getting the same error - - the same occurs if I remove the
'.annot' at the end.
*mri_surf2surf --srcsubject fsaverage \*
*--srcsurfval Yeo2011_17Networks_N1000.annot \*
*--trgsubject HS_001 --trgsurfval Yeo_17Network_native.annot --hemi lh*
*ERROR: could not determine type of Yeo2011_17Networks_N1000*

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Paul