Hello,

I have a question regarding nifti (.nii) input files. I have .nii image
files, which are aligned to AC-PC with SPM. The actual (original) data in
this file is not changed, but the transformation matrix is saved in the
.nii file.

When displaying the freesurfer reconstructed results with tkmedit, the
images are tilted (AC-PC aligned). So it seems that freesurfer reads and
applies the transformation saved in the nii file.

Is that true? and if yes at which step?

When using the recon-all -i command to create the starting folders and mgz
files before starting the actual freesurfer processing, is the
transformation matrix used to realign the images during this first
process, and the following processing is done on the reoriented image? or
is it just used for display? Or is the fact that the image appears tilted
a result of the Talairach transform and the nii header was not read at
all?

I am asking because, I have subjects which were SPM aligned, and subject
which were not. I am wondering if it makes any difference, since due to an
initial reorientation data will be interpolated and maybe a bit smoothed,
compared to data which was not aligned before.

Does anybody have any experience with that and a feeling if an
reorientation beforehand would have an effect on the outcome for cortical
thickness maesures?

Thaks for any comments,
Chris