Hi Doug,
Thanks for the response.
I'm not seeing lta_convert as an executable that I can run. I have
freesurfer v5.3.0 installed - is there another version that I should be
using?

For using tkregister2, I'm a bit confused as to what I should be doing. I
had assumed (erroneously, it seems) that the .lta and .dat files contained
the same information.
I just tried re-running tkregister2 with the command:
tkregsiter2 --mov [sub_CT].img --reg reg_avg.dat --surf pial --s average
--lta reg_avg.lta
Such that I can pass in the reg_avg.lta file created from robust register,
and have it output a reg_avg.dat file. The contents of these two files,
however, seem to be exactly the same.

I also running  tkregister2 with the --fslregout and --freeview flags, but
neither of those produced a correct transformation either.

Martin:
We are indeed registering the CT to an average MRI, and for the moment we
are correcting inaccuracies manually with tkregister2.
I just tried bbregister with one of our problem subjects, and it still
produced a matrix that had to be significantly adjusted in tkregister2.
Furthermore, the matrix that it produced still did not transform the
coordinates correctly in MATLAB.

-Isaac