Bastian,

Are you using freeview to display the surface?  If so, you will need to
get the newest freeview.bin, which is here:

ftp://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/pub/dist/freesurfer/freeview/linux_centos6_x86_64/

this has been updated to read the new volume geometry info now included
in the lh.white.gii file, so that it aligns with the volume (via the
c_ras info).

Nick