Nick,

Thanks very much. I will do as per your suggestion. I am new to Linux and
Ubuntu.

If I am not bothering you too much. I read an article where they compared
the results
from Freesurfer's different versions and about using different OS and
concluded saying that
use the same version and do not upgrade while in the middle of the study.
My collaborators are using
Freesurfer 5.0 and I will be helping them in processing the data (sharing
the data processing and analysis)
so is it ok to use use 5.3.0 or 5.0 is recommended.

Thanks very much again
Venkat