Thanks to Eugenio, for the tip!

We did look at (orig,nu,T1,brainmask,norm,nu,noneck, aseg, wm, filled).mgz. The only one showing a difference where our white matter error occurs is filled.mgz. In some of the other previous images are minor differences around that area, but not overlapping the area. This starts with the brainmask.mgz. The wm.mgz looks almost identical though and this is what is used in making filled.mgz, right?

Cheers,
Mel and Vincent

P.S.: Here's a quick script to visualize all differences:

recon1='/data1/vbeliveau/atlas/proc/MR/recon/v0013_good'; %change this
recon2='/data1/vbeliveau/atlas/proc/MR/recon/v0013_bad'; %change this
dest='/data1/vbeliveau/atlas/test'; %change this

img1=MRIread([recon1 '/mri/orig/001.mgz']);
img2=MRIread([recon2 '/mri/orig/001.mgz']);
img1.vol=img1.vol-img2.vol;
MRIwrite(img1,[dest '/diff_raw.mgz']);
disp('raw');
sum(img1.vol(:)>10e-4)

vol={'orig','nu','T1','brainmask','norm','nu_noneck','aseg','brain','wm','filled'};

for n=1:numel(vol)
    img1=MRIread([recon1 '/mri/' vol{n} '.mgz']);
    img2=MRIread([recon2 '/mri/' vol{n} '.mgz']);
    img1.vol=img1.vol-img2.vol;
    MRIwrite(img1,[dest '/diff_' vol{n} '.mgz']);
    disp(vol{n});
    sum(img1.vol(:)>10e-4)
end