Hi,

I have performed a longitudinal analysis using the lme module in
FreeSurfer, with this model:

*intercept(random effect) + centered age + group + group x centered age +
sex*

I tested the effect of time with this contrast vector [ 0 1 0 0 0 ]. Dependent
variable is  area.

Here, mapping the second beta means mapping the effect size for (change
over) time. In the beta map, I find values from 0 to 0.004.  I would
interpret that to mean that local area shrinks by at most 0.004 mm² per
year in the reference group. But I'm not 100% sure about the biological (or
geometrical) meaning of that.

Can I interpret this literally as the mean yearly shrinkage of the three
triangles surrounding a given vertex, the average of whose area comprises
the area score of the vertex, being 4/1000 mm? Of course, these maps are
smoothed with 30mm, so the real spatial resolution is nowhere near this....

Thank you!

--
yours,

Lars M. Rimol, PhD